Monday, August 6, 2007

Strongman Training 101, Part 1 and Part 2

Strongman Training 101, Part 1

By Brian King

For www.EliteFTS.com


This article is for the strongman competitor who is just starting to compete and really has no clue about how to train. However, there may be some things that the advanced athlete can use to improve his or her game as well. There are three different approaches to training for strongman. Most articles are written about one person’s training philosophy, but here you will get three views from three, very qualified strongmen—Eric Hammer, Bryan Dermody, and myself.

Hammer is an assistant director of Olympic sports performance at the University of Louisville. He earned his pro status at the Central USA in July. Bryan Dermody is the assistant football strength and conditioning coach at the University of Louisville. He is one of the top ranked amateur heavyweights in the country and writes columns for Iron Mind. I am the manager of a fitness center. I have worked at the collegiate level as an assistant football and assistant strength and conditioning coach and consider myself to be one of the top ranked heavyweight amateurs in the country.

Since there are six questions, I will break this down into two parts because the first two questions are long.

Quest 1. During the off-season when you aren’t competing, what type of training template do you follow in the weight room? What, if any, type of event training do you do?

Hammer: My off-season template looks something like this:

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday or Sunday

ME cleans
DE squats
ME deadlifts
ME overhead
ME snatch ME squat
DE overhead
DE deadlifts Events
Accessory Accessory Accessory Accessory Accessory Accessory
Plyo's
Dumbbell/kettlebell swings

GPP session
Romanian deadlift
Front squat
Strict overhead
Incline bench
Plyo's
One-arm dumbbell snatch

GPP session
Good mornings
Lunges
Split jerks
GPP session



I event train once a week, and I usually alternate three to four events each week, working on form and technique. I am a big believer in the Olympic lifts and what they can do for you. So I tend to train them at least twice per week throughout the off-season. I also utilize favorites such as front squats, good mornings, jerks, any type of deadlifts, and plyometrics.

I like to use a conjugated periodization approach to ensure that I hit all areas of training. This includes max effort, speed, and repetition work to build up my weaknesses, add to my strengths, and generate some general physical preparedness. I don't use percentages on my max effort work because I want to get stronger. But I will use them on my accessory movements. Each phase of training lasts about 3–4 weeks, following a base, load, load, deload weekly progression in volume and intensity.

Dermody: My off-season template:

1) ME lower 2) Work cap/ grip 3) ME upper 4) DE lower 5) Lower asst 6) Events 7) Events
Snatch, 3X5,
heavy
Some type of
work capacity (i.e. sled drag, DB complex, light tire flips, etc.)
Some type of jerk or push press.


Best set of 1, 2,
or 3 reps.

Cleans, 3X5,
typically heavy
Front squat, reverse
hypers, or glute ham raise with moderate
intensity
Pick the six most common events and train three per week I may do events; if
not I will do
moderate front squats,
moderate snatch, and heavy rows
Squat, deadlift, or good mornings


Best set of 1, 2 or, 3 reps

Static grip work
Biceps
Five sets of either heavy close grip or steep incline
bench
Speed squats
w/band tension, 5–8X2
Static grip work I try to set a PR on one event each week, do 4–6
heavy sets on
one, and 4–6 light sets on one
Medium to heavy
Romanian deadlift, squat, or front squat
Five heavy sets of some type of
overhead press
Speed deadlift,
10–16X1 w/band tension or
straight bar
weight


King: I have come up with a modified version of training that includes Westside concepts, Olympic lifting, and circuit training. By combining all three, I can work on strength,
explosion/speed, and conditioning. I believe in the use of many movements, not in a training day but rather to have at your expense. This will allow you to find any weaknesses that you may have. As a general rule, I will switch up my ME movement about every three weeks and my Olympic movements every two to three weeks.


I will train the events on Saturdays. Events change weekly and so do the intensity levels. I try to train every event so that I can get accustomed to the movement. Plus, it breaks the monotony of training the same movements every week. The only two events that won't change are the 12-inch log and the Atlas stones. If I go for a max on the log then I will train the stones light and vice versa. I like to put the emphasis on these two movements because you will see them at every show you compete in. Below is a sample training week:


Monday, ME lower

Tuesday, extra

Wednesday, ME upper

Thursday, DE lower/speed

Friday

Saturday, events

Box squat w/T-bar
rows, 4X10
Light Dumbell work
and low back and
abs
Push jerks Cleans, 3X3 I do very little. This is
a day to relax and get ready for Saturday
12" log for max
Farmers for distance
Conans wheel heavy
Hack squat, 3X10
w/shrugs, 3X15
8" log incline, 3X5 w/CS rows, 3X15 Box squat w/bands,
5X2 (50–60%, 1 RM)
w/dumbbell high pulls, 3X10
Tire flips for reps
Stones to staggered
platforms up to 340lb
Romanian deadlift, 3X8 w/dec abs, 3X40 w/neck, 3X20 Dumbbell bench, 3X8
w/biceps, 3X10
Deadlifts, 5X2 (50–60%) Accessory work
Abs, neck, light cardio
45 degree back raise,
3X10

w/biceps, 3X10

Tricep extension, 3X8
w/abs, 3X20 w/neck, 3X10
Plyo jumps, 3X5
Sled drags for cardio Some type of cardio Leg curls, 3X10 w/abs, 3X30

Quest 2. When you are actively competing, how does gym and event training differ from what you do in the off-season?

Hammer: My off-season template looks something like this:

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday and Sunday

Off Snatch
ME deadlift /squat
ME overhead
Plyos, core

GPP session
Cleans
DE squat/deadlifts
DE overhead
Off Events

GPP on Sundays
Accessory Accessory
Front squats
Zercher squats
Shoulder pre-hab


My approach to in-season training is quality over quantity. I drop my workouts from six days to three to four days per week. My focus is on strength and staying healthy, and my gym work depends on the upcoming contest. For example, if there are several medley events then my max effort training becomes a ball busting repetition effort training session where I will try and hit a few good sets of 10–15 reps at as much weight as I can push.

I still clean and snatch during the week, but it may or may not be for max effort, depending on how my wrists, elbows, and shoulders feel. All my events are determined by the contest. I will start planning for a meet about four to six weeks out and devise a plan of progression for each event allowing for an easier week of the show. On Saturdays and Sundays, I will split up the events, focusing on form and moving heavy weight.


The week of the meet looks like this:

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Meet day
DE squat, 8X2
Squats, 3X1 at 90%
DE deadlifts, 8X2
Conv deadlifts, 3X1 at 90%
DE overhead 8X2
Push jerk 3X1 at 90%
Dynamic warm-up
20 minutes

Dumbbell complex, 3–4 moves, 2–3X3
Dynamic warm-up, 20 minutes
Cleans 4–6X1 at 80–95% Snatch, 4–6X1, 80–90%


The week after entails dynamic warm-ups, dumbbell complexes, and rehab work. The next training cycle will start the following Saturday.

Dermody: My changes for in-season strongman training include one day of max effort gym work (upper and lower in the same session) and event training tailored to the specific events in the upcoming contest. I may do one or two event days, but if I can fit the events into my normal gym training (i.e. log or deadlift), I will typically only have one event day. If I am competing in shows really close to one another (1–3 weeks apart) then I will do only max effort squat and speed deadlifts or reverse the two. I may also do only speed deadlifts and speed squats, but I’ll do a heavy single afterwards with the use of chains or band tension.

My last event will typically be five to seven days from the contest. The week of the contest I will
do Olympic lifts, speed squats/deadlifts, and some overhead presses. Three days out, I will perform only work capacity stuff and dynamic flexibility work. The week after the show, I will take about two days off, and I may throw out my max effort overhead day from the next week’s training.

King: My in-season training is based on how my body feels and what events will be held at the show. I throw out all Olympic movements because they are hard on my joints and rely on speed squats and deadlifts to maintain my explosion. I will have a max effort lower body day on Monday or Tuesday, which usually consists of some form of deadlift movement. This saves my knees and shoulders from getting beat up more then they already are. I also throw in more pre-hab work, and I frequent a chiropractor or massage therapist.


Event training is usually broken into two days for more consistency and to focus more on the movement. About six weeks out, I start to focus on the events of the contest. Usually, the volume of training starts out high and gradually decreases as the show nears. The last two weeks of training are all about quality. I eliminate many warm-up sets and focus on staying healthy and working form and technique.


The week of the show I will train at the gym twice. On Monday, I will do some low rep, low weight squats or deadlifts and some accessory work. On Wednesday, I will do the same for my
upper body. For Tuesday and Thursday, I will do some light ab and low back work and stretch.
My training the week after the show all depends on how heavy the show was. I base this week on instinct. If I feel good then I will train relatively hard, but if I feel beat down, I will do more rehab and machine work.


Here is a sample training program for in-season:

Monday

Tuesday, ME lower

Wednesday, ME upper

Thursday, speed lower

Friday

Sat/Sunday, events

Dynamic warm-up
Barbell movements
(3–4 moves), 3X10
18" dead
Leg press, 3X10, w/CS row, 4X12
8" log incline w/band
tension, best set of 5
Box squat, 5X2
(50–60% w/bands) w/pull-downs, 4X10
Stretch and maybe a
dumbbell or barbell complex
On Sundays we finish
with a cardio session
Dumbbell moves (3–4), moves, 3X5
Light low back/abs
Band pull-thru, 3X10

w/Shrug, 3X10
45-degree back raise, 3X10, w/Abs, 3X40
w/Biceps

Dumbbell incline, 3X10

w/DB high pull, 3X10

DB Tri extension, 3X8
w/rear delts, 3X15

Speed deads 5x2

Leg curl 3x12

Abs, low back
Rehab/pre-hab
Rehab/pre-hab Sled drags (cardio) Low back and abs
and neck
Some type of cardio

Eric Hammer is currently the assistant director of Olympic sports performance at the University of Louisville, and he works with the strength and power sports. Before coming to Louisville, Hammer was the assistant strength and conditioning coach at the University of Nebraska-Omaha, where he worked with football. He holds a master's degree in exercise science as well as CSCS and USAW Level 1 certifications. Hammer has competed in strongman for three years and recently turned pro in July.

Bryan Dermody is currently football assistant strength and conditioning coach at the University of Louisville. Before coming to Louisville, Dermody held the same position at the University of Iowa. He holds a master's of science degree and is CSCS certified. He also competes in strongman.

Brian King is the founder of www.kentuckystrongman.com and is the Kentucky state chairperson for NAS, Inc. King has been an assistant football and strength and conditioning coach at the collegiate and high school levels. He holds a bachelor's degree in physical education, is CSCS certified, and currently competes in both powerlifitng and strongman.

Elite Fitness Systems strives to be a recognized leader in the strength training industry by providing the highest quality strength training products and services while providing the highest level of customer service in the industry. For the best training equipment, information, and accessories, visit us at www.EliteFTS.com.


Strongman Training 101, Part 2

By Brian King

For www.EliteFTS.com



In part one of Strongman Training 101, we covered in-season and off-season training. Part two will focus on cardio, core/flexibility work, and diet as well as the most important Strongman implements that a beginning Strongman athlete should have.


Question: Do you think cardio is very important and how much, if any, do you perform?

Hammer: I believe cardio is important for the Strongman competitor. A good aerobic base allows the body to recover faster in between sets or events. Because aerobic training can be detrimental to strength gains, however, longer, less intensive cardio should be performed in the early off-season phase while short, intensive interval training should be used during the competition phase. The types of cardio that I use are sled dragging, dumbbell or barbell circuits, judo, kickboxing, and other MMA activities.

Dermody: I honestly don’t do any cardio for Strongman. Obviously, some medleys require cardio, but I just train the specific contest medley to get in shape for it. These are done during event training.

King: I think cardio is very beneficial to Strongman. Running out of breath is the rate limiting factor in most Strongman events. I train cardio in a sport specific manner because I don’t feel that long duration cardio will provide much benefit to the Strongman. My cardio sessions are performed in an interval type fashion after my workout. For example, I may do sled backpedals for 50 feet and rest ten seconds. I’ll do this for ten sets. Some other cardio exercises that I do are lightened yoke carries for 300 feet, quarry rock carries for long distances, and bleacher runs. I’ll get on the elliptical machine for 15–20 minutes after event training because I’ve found that it speeds up my recovery.


Question: What are your thoughts on core, balance, and flexibility work, and what types of exercises do you use?

Hammer: Core stability should be placed high in a Strongman’s training regime. Performing squats, deadlifts, and overhead lifts without the use of a belt are the best core exercises an individual can do. I believe that the Strongman events provide a great combination of core and balance work. Static flexibility work is great after a heavy workout session and will help limit soreness, but other than that I don’t believe in it. I utilize dynamic flexibility prior to workouts where I will go a distance of 10–15 yards. I’ll perform exercises like straight leg kicks, walking lunges with twists, skipping, jogging, and other low impact plyometrics to help warm my muscles up and get ready for the workout to come.

My core work is primarily done on main lifts like a max effort on squats without a belt or a max effort push press without a belt stabilizing the bar overhead for 10–20 seconds. I use other exercises like reverse hypers, back extensions, or weighted decline sit-ups but not too much during the competitive season.

Dermody: I think core work is extremely important for Strongman. I train core work four times per week. I will perform traditional work such as heavy, weighted sit-ups for sets of eight or less twice a week and medicine ball work twice a week. The medicine ball movements are side throws, side chops, forward chops, overhead throws, backward overhead throws, single and double arm chest passes, and forward and backward rotational throws. I don’t perform any specific balance work for Strongman. I do dynamic flexibility at the start of every training session and static work at the end. Dynamic stretching is important in maintaining athletic ability and preventing injury by warming up thoroughly. Static stretching is important for injury prevention and decreasing recovery time.

King: All three are very important in Strongman. I feel that belt-less squats, deadlifts, and other events are good for core and balance, but I believe you must work the two specifically. Performing specific balance and core work will help in injury prevention and will help improve any muscle imbalances you have. The types of balance and core work I do include one arm dumbbell overhead presses while standing on one leg, bridge work off a stability ball, and two point bridges (bird dogs), where I get in a push-up position with dumbbells and take one hand off and one leg off the ground and hold for a count. I also do other types of movements involving a stability ball. This type of work hits the smaller muscle groups, increases concentration, and teaches your muscles how to stay contracted for long periods of time. I don’t perform many weighted sit-ups just because my abs are trained hard during event days.


I think flexibility is very important, and you should stretch every day. Before training, I do a specific warm up that includes dynamic stretching with very little static stretching. For example, if I train legs, I will do leg kicks, form running, and static stretch my adductors and hip flexors for about a ten second count. I won’t static stretch a trained muscle until the next day because the muscle is fried and there won’t be much benefit. Both types of stretching are great for improving athletic ability and preventing injury. I have to do more stretching now that I am 35 years old. I static stretch my hips, calves, and hip flexors every day, holding the stretch for up to 30 seconds. Stretching these muscle groups daily helps my mobility and keeps me from walking like Frankenstein.

Question: What approach do you take when choosing what to eat, and what type of supplements do you take if any?

Hammer: My approach to eating is simple. I start eating early, and I stop eating late. I eat a fairly clean diet and don’t find myself at fast food shops too often, although I do eat Subway a lot. I take my meals to work so that I always have something to snack on throughout the long work day. Here’s a sample of my eating during the school year:

Meal 1 (5:30 am)
oatmeal (two cups) with raisins and honey
skim milk (8 oz)

Meal 2 (8:00 am)
bowl of Grapenuts cereal using a Met-Rx RTD shake as milk
yogurt (8 oz)


Meal 3 (11:00 am)
two turkey sandwiches with lettuce and tomato
orange or apple


Meal 4 (2:00 pm)
one Met-Rx RTD shake
one peanut butter and honey sandwich


Meal 5 (5:00 pm)
two Met-Rx RTD shakes

orange or apple


Meal 6 (8:00 pm)
one quart of low fat chocolate milk
Cliff Builder bar


Meal 7 (11:00 pm)
peanut butter and jelly sandwich
skim milk (8 oz)

I don’t have an approach to supplements. I take a creatine product, extra protein, BCAAs, and glutamine for recovery and restoration.

Dermody: I go by the motto, “Never get hungry and never get thirsty.” I try to get a constant flow of good calories into my body throughout the day. I probably take in 5,000–6,000 calories per day. Some of the foods I eat are chicken breasts, skim milk, peanut butter, ground turkey, lots of fruit and vegetables, tuna, and salmon. As far as supplements go, I will ingest protein shakes or bars throughout the day when I don’t have access or time to eat real food.

King: Basically, I eat three times a day and throw in some type of snack. The majority of my meals consist of potatoes, rice, red meat, chicken breast, dairy, fruits, and vegetables. I don’t get caught up in how much protein I’m getting, and I don’t really care. I think that if you eat a diverse range of foods and consume enough calories to stay in an anabolic state, you’ll be fine. For instance, if I consume 5,000 calories, I’ll go out on a limb and say that 1,000–1,500 calories will come from protein. If I don’t have time to cook my meals, I don’t hesitate to go to McDonalds. I’m trying to get strong and maintain my weight, not work on my six pack abs. My post workout meal is a quart of 2 percent milk and a king size Snickers. My breakfast usually consists of six to eight scrambled eggs with one cup of oatmeal. A typical lunch is two cups of brown rice, a 16-ounce sirloin, and one cup of shredded cheese all mixed together and thrown into a couple of soft shell tortillas. Dinner may be a box of whole wheat Stove Top stuffing with two chicken breasts. These are just a few of the things that I consume throughout the day.


As far as supplements go, I don’t take too many things. I think that about 90 percent of the stuff out there is s**t. I just stick with a weight gainer protein powder, some creatine, and some NO2. Although not a supplement, I try and ingest at least 25–30 grams of fiber per day. If you’re consuming a large amount of food, especially meat, you absolutely need fiber. I usually take about two tablespoons of psyllium husk per day and wait for the magic to happen. There’s nothing better then dropping a two-foot fudge stick when you get up in the morning.

Question: If you were just starting out and/or had a limited budget, what two Strongman implements would be the most important to have and why?

Hammer: On a limited budget, I would suggest getting a 12-inch log to clean and press and a yoke. The log itself is very different than a bar. If an athlete goes into his first contest without having used logs, he will be at a disadvantage. The yoke is another piece of equipment that is a staple of the Strongman and will be at most contests. You can do so many different variations with the yoke, which is what makes it an important piece of equipment to have in your arsenal. Other items you can pick up on a limited budget are tires (free) and kegs (free).

Dermody: I would say Atlas stones because they’re very hard to replicate in the weight room. My second choice would be a good yoke because you can use it for so many things. I use my yoke for sled drags, Conan’s wheel, seated arm over arm, car squats, and truck pulls. Most of the other events you can simulate in the gym.

King: I would have to say Atlas stones because there is no way to mimic this event in the gym. Plus you will see this at any show that you compete in, and many times this event is the deciding factor in who takes first place and who takes second. The second piece of equipment would have to be a set of Farmer’s walks. I don’t think there is any one event that shocks the body more than the Farmer’s walk. The Farmer’s walks build the grip and pretty much tax the entire body. All of the other events can be trained in the gym.

Eric Hammer is currently the assistant director of Olympic sports performance at the University of Louisville, and he works with the strength and power sports. Before coming to Louisville, Hammer was the assistant strength and conditioning coach at the University of Nebraska-Omaha, where he worked with football. He holds a master’s degree in exercise science as well as CSCS and USAW Level 1 certifications. Hammer has competed in Strongman for three years and recently turned professional in July.

Bryan Dermody is currently the football assistant strength and conditioning coach at the University of Louisville. Before coming to Louisville, Dermody held the same position at the University of Iowa. He holds a master’s of science degree and is CSCS certified. He also competes in Strongman.

Brian King is the founder of www.kentuckystrongman.com and is the Kentucky state chairperson for NAS, Inc. King has been an assistant football and strength and conditioning coach at the collegiate and high school levels. He holds a bachelor’s degree in physical education and is CSCS certified. He currently competes in both powerlifting and Strongman.

Elite Fitness Systems strives to be a recognized leader in the strength training industry by providing the highest quality strength training products and services while providing the highest level of customer service in the industry. For the best training equipment, information, and accessories, visit us at www.EliteFTS.com.

No comments: